This unique process was compiled over many years and thousands of individual psychotherapy sessions within a South African population. One of the goals of The SHIP® Foundation is to reach a level of providing service to as many South Africans as possible, irrespective of race, politics, religion, or social standing.
SHIP® is relatively young and the advances have been quite rapid. There are currently four categories namely SHIP®forAdults, SHIPiC® (SHIP® in Children), SHIP®forAdolescents and SHIP®forAcuteTrauma.
The practical benefits of SHIP® as a psychotherapy model in everyday life are the following:
- SHIP® is applicable to the treatment of a variety of psychobiological dis-eases.
- It is a practical form of psychotherapy that does not focus on pathology but on healing and growth.
- The structure of SHIP® serves as a measurement for progress.
- It allows for individual differences and pace. It is non-judgemental and follows the client’s own rhythm and tempo and respects the client’s feelings throughout.
- It provides a focus on cognitive, behavioural, emotional and bodily experiences and is therefore an integrated and holistic approach.
- It activates a spontaneous healing process in each individual and does not only offer temporary solutions in the form of short lived coping techniques and dissociation.
- It focuses on psychological integration and freedom from painful and hurtful experiences.
- It is culture free and therefore appropriate for use across all culture groups in South Africa and respects the client’s own frame of reference.
- SHIP® can be used with all age groups and has different categories that specialise in age appropriate psychotherapy.
- It helps to heal the past that contaminated and dictated a person’s life. It helps a client not to be a victim and slave of his or her circumstances and provides him or her with control over his or her life.
- SHIP® releases a great deal of positive energy within – it unlocks wisdom and the client experiences freedom that will allow him or her to accept the self and others.
- SHIP® improves self-validation and the client’s emotions are less fluctuating.
- Freedom from chronic psychobiological dis-eases takes place as well as freedom from projections.
- Chronic life crises disappear and creativity in personal lives and careers are unlocked.
- It helps the client to feel more comfortable with self-assertion to the degree that he or she no longer feels threatened by other people.
- The client becomes more spontaneous and the constant sense that something inside of him or her is holding him or her back all the time disappears.
- SHIP® helps set up inner flow and integrated self. The hidden disconnected, spontaneous self is accessed, given identity and validated.
- Life takes on a new definition, the sense of losing out on life disappears and the client’s place and contribution in life opens up.
- SHIP® is flexible and adaptable, e.g. it can even be used with people with hearing difficulties and problems.
- SHIP® helps set up inner flow and an integrated self – the hidden disconnected spontaneous self is accessed.
Applications of SHIP®
A huge asset of SHIP® is its broad spectrum of application possibilities. One of the big contributing factors is that chronic dis-ease is not regarded as pathology but signs of healing. SHIP® does not claim to be everything to everyone but it has proven over many thousands of psychotherapy sessions to be helpful in the following application scenarios, problems and chronic dis-eases that clients present with and seek help for.
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Headaches: Migraines (vascular); Tension (muscle contraction)
- Self-image and assertiveness
- DSM V Disorders, e.g.
- Post-traumatic stress disorders (PTSD)
- Complex PTSD (DESNOS)
- Anxiety disorders and problems
- Mood disorders
- Somatoform disorders
- Sexual dysfunctions and problems
- Sleeping problems and disorders
- Personality problems and disorders
- Panic disorders and panic attacks
- Eating disorders
- Impulse control problems
- Identity problems and disorders
- Impacts positively on intimate and marriage relationships
- Psychobiological burnout
- Rehabilitation and adjustment e.g. the consequences of accidents, operations, injuries, etc.
- Life crises and adjustment e.g. divorce, death of loved one, family murder, terminal illness, loss of job, financial crisis, etc.
- Aggression problems
- Destructive behavioural patterns and habits
- Stress problems
- Bronchial asthma
- Peptic ulcers
- Eating problems / weight problems / obesity
- Acute trauma
- Chronic pain e.g. lower back pain
- Low energy levels
- Personal growth
- Healing of painful and hurtful experiences that happened in the past
- Interpersonal problems.
Contra-indications for SHIP®
It is important to understand the limitations and consequent contra indicators for SHIP®. Screening and assessing of clients is just as an important factor of effective treatment as the psychotherapy itself. The following are contra indicators:
- Organic mental problems and disorders
- Lack of motivation and focus on psychotherapy
- No need for long term psychotherapy
- Chronic substance abuse